St Swithun has had his beastly way with the weather… It’s raining; it’s been raining for 5 days. My tomatoes are out of control, I’m about to have a surplus of homegrown courgettes (although there are those that say one can never have too many courgettes) and the boyfriend has almost finished building a window seat for the sitting room! He only started it yesterday – that is how much rain there has been.
So last night, it had to be comfort food. And if you’re looking for a quick, easy supper that will please pretty much everyone, look no further than this recipe.
2 chicken breasts
6 slices of Parma Ham (or smoked bacon if you’re on a budget)
3 tbsp Sun-dried tomato Philadelphia (or cream cheese and stir through some pesto)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Turn the chicken breasts over so you can see the underside. Score along the chicken breast and open it up so it looks ‘butterflied’
- Smear the philly down the middle, taking care to get it into all the nooks and crannies
- Season with black pepper
- Lay the Parma ham on a chopping board, each slice just overlapping (3 slices per chicken breast)
- Place the chicken diagonally onto the ham and wrap it up
- Now take some tin foil, fold it in half, then fold the each of the side edges and scrumple them up
- Gently open the top up and gently press the bottom corners so that the packet has a flat ish bottom and but is also sealed down the sides
- Place the wrapped up chicken breast into the bottom of the packet, close the opening by scrumpling them together – it’ll look a bit like a metal pasty
- Repeat for the other chicken breast
- Place the parcels onto a baking tray and place in the oven for 25 minutes
- While the chicken is cooking get your potatoes cooked and mashed as well as your courgettes cooked
This dish is absolute comfort in our household. The boyfriend makes it when we’re feeling down. Just the perfect pick-me-up dish and is also quite decadent without breaking the bank.